Fernbank Outdoor Interpreter
The Outdoor Interpreter provides excellent interpretive experiences for Museum guests. This includes families, children, adults, and school groups (K-12). The Interpreter will offer opportunities to engage visitors through immersive hands-on activities and interpretive information in WildWoods covering topics ranging from biodiversity, habitats, and plant and animals species represented in our outdoor areas.
- Greets visitors to WildWoods and addresses questions regarding Museum events, exhibitions and facilities.
- Sets up, facilitates and breaks down Interpretive Stations to engage visitors using hands-on educational materials and immersive outdoor activities.
- Serves as liaison between visitors and staff, keeping staff informed of feedback from guests as well as any potential problems that may arise.
- Rotates positions with other volunteers as appropriate.
- Prior to Interpreter training, completion of 24 volunteer hours within a 6 month period as well as training on indoor Discovery Carts or A Walk Through Time in Georgia are required.
- Interpreters must complete one full day of Interpreter Training class as well as additional Continuing Education sessions offered throughout the year. Training classes will count towards interpretive hours.
- Interpreters will be required to complete 60 hours a year, 45 of those hours need to be interpretive hours.
- Ability to transport supplies and stand for up to four hours in varying weather conditions. Shifts will be 10am – 1:30pm and 1:30pm – 5pm.
Skills and Attributes
- Ability to express information to public clearly, concisely, and with enthusiasm
- Curious, motivated, and willing to self-learn
- Able to react quickly and solve problems or notify staff if appropriate.
- Comfortable working in a busy environment
- Desires to learn exhibition material
- Comfortable in a facilitator's role and able to interact with children as well as guests and all ages and abilities
- Appears as scheduled for shift and maintains an accurate record of hours volunteered
- Possesses or is willing to gain a general knowledge of the Museum
- Adheres to volunteer dress code and follows Museum policies and procedures