Forest Restoration Volunteer
This position provides an opportunity to learn about current and future ecological restoration efforts on the Fernbank Museum campus and help eradicate non-native, invasive plant species. With this position, volunteers have the opportunity to learn about native woodlands and also assist with restoration activities, such as removing invasive plant species and restoring native biodiversity in Fernbank Forest and on the museum grounds.
- Become versed in the local ecology of Fernbank Forest and the Piedmont region of Georgia
- Assist in restoration activities, including removing invasive species (by hand and with tools) and planting native species
- Maintaining trails throughout the Forest Overlook area
- Background and/or strong interest in restoration ecology, botany, gardening, or horticulture in an outdoor setting
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in forested areas that are home to snakes, poison ivy and yellow jackets
- Willingness to learn about the flora and fauna of the Georgia Piedmont Region
- Compliance with Museum policies and procedures
- Must be able to work outdoors and walk/hike up to 2 miles over potentially slick terrain and have physical skills necessary to perform restoration activities (involves some lifting, bending, digging, working with tools, etc.)
All potential volunteers will need to submit the standard Polaris application and attend a short orientation, where they will be asked to complete additional paperwork, including a Forest information sheet. Fernbank Museum's Member and Volunteer Services Department and staff Ecologist will review all applications before the volunteer signs up for their first workday. Once admitted, training will begin immediately, with volunteer shifts taking place in Fernbank Forest and on the Fernbank Museum campus numerous times throughout the year.
Volunteers should make an effort to attend a 4-hour shift with the program each month. Volunteer Forest Restoration Days will take place from 8am – noon, generally on the second Saturday of the month throughout the year. Additional weekday volunteer opportunities may be available as well.